From the time when the castle was first built until the 17th century the only way to access the attic was by means of a wooden ladder, after this time a wooden spiral staircase was used. It was not until 1912 that the stone spiral staircase was built.

The purpose of having ladder as access was more for security than anything else as if anyone did try and access the castle from the roof they would have extreme difficulty getting down to the floor below giving enough time for knights  to get into position and stop them, usually by death.
© 1999 - 2021